Global Health Advocates EU office is looking for an EU Advocacy & Policy Officer to support the Head of Advocacy in developing policy positions and implement GHA advocacy strategies on EU Research & Innovation policies, based in Brussels.
Global Health Advocates (GHA) was set up in 2001 with the need for an international advocacy and communication initiative focused on AIDS, Tuberculosis (TB) and Malaria, and other diseases of poverty. GHA headquarters are in Paris with an office in Brussels since 2011. In partnership with civil society, our mission is to carry out political advocacy to ensure policies and resources are effectively addressing health inequalities. GHA also works with its partners in the global South to increase their advocacy capacities.
Under the responsibility of the Head of Advocacy, the EU Advocacy & Policy Officer will analyse and develop policy content, work with civil society partners and reach out to EU decision makers on matters linked to EU research and innovation (R&I) policies. This is one of the most important EU budgets when it comes to global health financing.
- Research, policy analysis and advocacy on access to health technologies, societal impact of EU research, digitalisation of health, public-private partnerships and public return on public investment in EU R&I.
- Analysis and reaction to changing EU R&I policies as they arise
- Outreach to decision-makers and feeding in civil society discussions.
The Policy Officer will undertake the following tasks:
- Undertake research and policy analysis on EU policies linked to health R&I
- Draft briefing notes, policy papers and reports on issues covered by GHA’s mandate
- Outreach to EU decision makers and institutions to present and defend GHA’s and other partners’ positions on EU R&I
- Build and maintain contacts and when relevant coordinate civil society groups
- Reporting & office administration
- Any other task within the framework of GHA’s work.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Proactive in developing policy content and analysing policies
- Excellent drafting skills in English (able to publish position papers, reports without native-speaker supervision)
- Organisational skills, ability to multitask and work independently
- Good communication and computer skills
- Proven ability to contribute to activities involving multiple stakeholders in multiple countries
- Strong knowledge and interest to work on R&I, health financing and poverty related issues
- Good understanding of EU policies, budgets and functioning of the European institutions
- Good understanding of advocacy techniques and strategies
- Knowledge of French
- Flexible and creative
DIPLOMA AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum two years’ experience working in a similar policy position in an NGO or similar setting
- Masters Degree in public health, political science, social science, communication or international relations
LOCATION: The position is Brussels-based with occasional travel in Europe and worldwide.
TERM: full-time position, permanent contract.
SALARY: 3100 EUR to 3300 monthly gross salary depending on experience.
START DATE: as soon as possible
Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: “EU Advocacy & Policy Officer *your name*” by 7th December at 6pm CET.